Doctoral Program FAQ
1. What concentrations are offered in your Ph.D. program?
Concentrations that are offered in our PhD program are accounting, finance, management information systems, marketing, OB/leadership and supply chain management. Because our program is small and top-quality, applications are not accepted in all concentrations every year. When preparing your application, you should contact Peggy Slavik at email@example.com or 607-777-3643 to make sure your application will be accepted into the concentration that is of interest to you.
2. Will I get an assistantship?
All students admitted into the PhD program will be offered assistantships which include both a full tuition scholarship plus a stipend of $17,000 a year. The assistantships will be renewed each year, for a maximum of four years, conditional on satisfactory performance, as determined by a member of the area faculty.
3. How do I apply to the doctoral program?
Submit an online application for graduate study to The Graduate School at Binghamton University.
4. What is the deadline for applications?
The application deadline is February 1.
5. What are the requirements for admission to the Ph.D. program?
- An MBA or MS Accounting degree from an accredited university is preferred although outstanding students with an undergraduate degree will be considered.
- One official transcript of all prior college work.
- Three letters of recommendation from people acquainted with you.
- A resume detailing your educational and work experience.
- A personal statement describing your career goals.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores.
- International applicants - TOEFL with a minimum score of 600 (paper), 250 (CBT), 100 (IBT), 7.5 (IELTS).
6. What are the average GMAT and TOEFL scores and GPA for those accepted into your
GMAT scores for students admitted to the doctoral program averaged 670. The average TOEFL score was 625. Typically, applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.2 in undergraduate work and 3.5 in graduate work. The average GPA for those admitted to the program is 3.71. If you have received a degree from a university where English is the medium of instruction, TOEFL/IELTS is not required.
7. Is GRE accepted instead of GMAT?
The GRE will be accepted if you have already taken the exam; however, the GMAT is strongly preferred. If you are using a GRE score, we are looking for an almost perfect score in the quantitative section (95 percent or better) and at least 80 percent in the verbal and analytical sections of the exam.