SOM Career Services Events Calendar
The School of Management has risen in the national rankings, and is among the elite business schools in America. That is a testament to the quality of the school's students and faculty.
Consider these 2014 Bloomberg Businessweek rankings:
Our graduates get jobs! Here are placement statistics for our Class of 2013:
The Career Services Office prepares students for the very competitive job market, maintains connections with recruiters, and builds relationships with new employers.
Some of the resources available to students through the SOM Career Services Office include:
- Industry research workshops
- Group career advisement
- Identification of individual strengths and skills through software-based assessment
- Social media
- International student career issues seminars
- CareerOneStop - Sponsored by the US Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration. Learn about typical wages and employment trends across occupations and industries.
- Salary Calculator - Salary analysis tool; customize by state, region, occupation and more.
- Salary.com - Salary information with search by over 60 career categories and by location. Also provides information about compensation, salary/benefits negotiation, and an advice column.
Resumes and Cover Letters:
- Seminars covering individual "personal brand" development
- Resume and cover letter writing workshops
SOM Career Services holds walk-in hours for resume and cover letter assistance 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and Friday by appointment
Mock Interview Program - Schedule a Mock Interview:
Undergraduate and graduate students can participate in a 30 minute mock interview with a Graduate Assistant or directly with Career Services Director Carolyn Schapiro. These Mock Interviews provide an excellent opportunity for students to practice and tweak interview skills through feedback sessions.
MOCK INTERVIEWS WILL HELP YOU to familiarize yourself with the types of questions to expect and how to answer them effectively. These mocks are designed to give students an understanding of what to expect during typical interviews. This will help you feel more comfortable and confident during real interviews.
To Set Up Your Mock Interview:
1. Make an appointment: To schedule your half hour Mock Interview with a Graduate Assistant you may email email@example.com.
2. Make an appointment with Carolyn Schapiro or Janine Bautista:
You can now schedule one-on-one appointments with Carolyn Schapiro, Director of SOM Career Services or Janine Bautista, Assistant Director of SOM Career Services directly on hireBING. Availability for appointments will be posted weekly Below are the directions to schedule an appointment. Log on to hireBING:
1. Go to Calendar
2. Click Request New Appointment
3. Click on our name (Carolyn Schapiro or Janine Bautista)
4. Click on check availability
5. The Location will always be School of Management - Academic A - AAG 16 (unless otherwise specified)
6. Use the drop down to indicate what you would like to discuss (career advising, offer, etc.)
7. Click Submit request
8. You will receive a confirmation
9. All appointments are confirmed unless you hear otherwise
If you do not see a time that works for you, you can email Janine Bautista or Carolyn Schapiro directly and we will find a time. To schedule an appointment with a graduate assistant (appointments on Friday) email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Write down the date and time of your interview: Mock interviews are preparation for a real interview, and should be treated as such.
To Prepare For Your Mock Interview:
- Review the Career Services Interview Tips handout: This handout provides some general advice and questions to help you prepare what to expect so you get the most out of your Mock Interview.
- Print a copy of your resume to bring with you: This will help your mock interviewer tailor the experience to you most effectively.
- Have an idea of an industry or company that you want to work for: If we know your field of interest, we can guide the interview in that direction.
- Utilize Interview Stream to self-critique your interview behavior: Interview Stream allows you the opportunity to practice on your own time in a comfortable environment.
What To Expect During Your Mock Interview:
Your Mock Interview lasts approximately 30 minutes and will mimic a real interview. You will be in the role of an interviewee interviewing for a "real" job, and the Grad Assistant and/or Director will be in the role of a "real" interviewer. After about 20 minutes, we will end the interview portion of your appointment and will then discuss your interview. We will identify where you did well and offer tips and suggestions on your answers and body language for how to best position yourself in any interview!
- Interviewing seminars
- Student-to-student mock interview program
- InterviewStream software to practice interviews online
- Practice interviews with the SOM Career Services staff (behavioral and technical)
Helpful Handouts (PDF - Adobe Reader required):
Helpful Online Resources:
- hireBING - Employer Login
- hireBING - Alumni
- hireBING - Students
- Going Global
- Interview Stream
- Locanto Jobs
- Job Site Reviews
- Student Freelance
- Binghamton University's Career Development Center
- Alumni Association Professional Network
- Alumni Association Job Forum
- CollegeJournal.com (from the WSJ)
- e-career center
- College Grad job hunter
- Yahoo's Career page
SOM Career Services Staff
Our Career Services Office is located in AA-G16. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and can be reached at 607-777-6191.
Carolyn Schapiro, Director of Career Services
Janine Bautista, Assistant Director of Career Services
Meghan Carpentier, New Student Coordinator/Program Advisor
Tammy Richard, Career Services Secretary
Connect with Career Services Online