Guidelines for Preparing an Appeal
Keep the following in Mind:
1. An appeal must be submitted in writing.
2. An appeal must be written by the student charged.
3. An appeal must be submitted to the Office of Student Conduct within five working business days except in cases of suspension or expulsion when the appeal must
be submitted within 10 working business days, after receiving notification of the outcome of the hearing.
4. Failure to appeal within the allotted time will render the original decision final and conclusive. Late appeals are not accepted.
5. The appeals process is an administrative process.
6. Appeals are decided upon the record of the original proceedings and upon written materials submitted by both parties. An appeal is not a rehearing of the case.
7. Students are notified of the outcome of the appeal by letter.
Writing the Appeal
1. Specify the reason(s) for the appeal. You may appeal on any or all of the following grounds:
a. The finding of responsibility
b. The sanction imposed
c. Procedural errors
2. Provide a clear and detailed explanation for each reason cited
3. Include any supporting documentation
4. Be sure to sign your appeal
5. Include the following in the opening paragraph of your appeal
a. Date of the original hearing
b. Date time and location of the incident
c. State the reason for the appeal
6. In the body of the appeal explain the basis for the appeal (in other words provide the information to support your reason(s) for appealing).
Submitting the Appeal
Use this link to Submit Your Appeal Online.
For a complete explanation of the Appeals Process refer to the Code of Student Conduct .
Questions: Contact the Office of Student Conduct at 607-777-6210
Last Updated: 9/27/13