How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in Binghamton University's graduate programs. We look forward to receiving your admission application.
Fall 2015 Degree Applicants:
Follow the steps below to submit your graduate application.
Spring 2016 Applicants:
To receive a reminder when the Spring 2016 application opens, complete this form.
Fall 2016 Applicants:
To receive a reminder when the Fall 2016 application opens, complete this form.
All Other Applicants (Accelerated Degree, Non-Degree, Add-On Certificate):
See application instructions.
Submit an online application and required admission materials.
- Check your program's application deadline and submit all materials by the date listed
- Upload all required admission materials
- Remember to scan your files with care, making sure they are clear and legible. The files you upload are what the admission review committee will see.
- Individual files should be under 2 MB
- Preferred file format is PDF. Other accepted file formats include .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg, and .tif
- Do not mail hard (paper) copies of any admission materials unless specifically requested by the Graduate School
- Pay your $75 (U.S.), non-refundable degree application fee when you submit your online application
- You can use a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card; your credit card billing serves as a receipt.
- We only grant fee waivers to McNair, EOP, HEOP, SEEK, Project 1000 or LSAMP undergraduate students and GEM fellowship applicants. If eligible, complete the Application Fee Waiver form and submit a certified form or official letter from your current undergraduate institution verifying this status. For GEM fellowship applicants, please submit a copy of your GEM interface home page, indicating that your overall application status is completed.
Important reminders before you apply:
- Creating an online graduate degree application or a certificate application requires a valid e-mail address
- We recommend you begin the application process at least a month before the application deadline
- Select your academic program of interest carefully. The Graduate School cannot make any changes to your applied program once we receive your application, fee and credentials, and begin review of your application.
- Submit only one application per term; multiple applications will not be processed. (The only exceptions are for dual master's degree applicants and for graduate degree applicants who are also applying for a graduate certificate.)
- If you are a former Binghamton University student (undergraduate, graduate or non-degree) and have since changed your name, file an official name change form with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records before submitting an application.
- International students should carefully review the additional requirements section before applying.
- Students interested in transferring to Binghamton University from other institutions should familiarize themselves with our policy regarding the transfer of graduate credits. The application process is the same for students planning to transfer credits as for students who to not plan to do so.
Submit official test scores electronically.
If you have not already sent your test scores to Binghamton University, submit your GRE/GMAT and/or TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Academic scores, as required by your program. Consult the admission requirements page to see which test scores are required. Please note that it can take as long as two full weeks for the testing agency to process your order and deliver the scores to Binghamton's electronic system.
Submit any documents that you were not able to upload to the online application.
If your program requires additional documents that were not requested on the online application, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Put "Additional Application Materials - [Student's Name]" in the subject line
- Include your documents as attachments. Preferred file format is PDF
- Make sure to include your full name, date of birth, academic program, and semester in which you expect to begin graduate studies at Binghamton in the body of your e-mail
Note: Applicants for the Clark Fellowship should send their Clark application in a separate e-mail, with a subject line that reads "Clark Fellowship Application - [Student's Name]." Applicants for the Dr. Bhagwan Gajwani Scholarship should send their application in a separate e-mail, with a subject line that reads "Gajwani Scholarship Application - [Student's Name]."
Receive your admission decision.
Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an e-mail from the Graduate School. (Please add "email@example.com" to your e-mail address book. Make sure to check your spam folder, just in case!) If you have been accepted, you will also receive an admission letter.
Log in to your online application (Embark) to check your application. From there, you can:
- See if your recommender has uploaded his/her letter
- Send a reminder to your recommender
- Remove a recommender who has not uploaded a recommendation, and/or add a new recommender
We will also notify you via e-mail shortly after making an admissions decision.