The undergraduate accounting program is ranked #18 on the LinkedIn list of “Top Accounting Schools” nationwide (2014) . Accounting provides strong pre-professional training in the theory and practice of accounting within the context of Binghamton's strong liberal arts education.
The program serves students interested in careers in public and corporate accounting, as well as students who intend to pursue advanced studies in various graduate and professional schools.
- BS in Accounting
Internships, research opportunities and more
There are many opportunities for internships to strengthen students’ business acumen, analytical skills and professional network. The focus is on experiential learning through internships, case competitions, our real-time trading room, community engagement, study abroad, networking events and more :
- Our students are regular top finalists in national case competitions sponsored by EY, KPMG and PwC.
- Our media strategy course in conjunction with ZenithOptimedia — one of the largest media agencies in the country — allows students to develop and pitch strategy campaigns to the agency’s top executives.
- Our EY Trajectory Program requires our undergraduates to develop a career-focused mentoring relationship, earn academic credit and network with firm professionals. The program culminates with a final presentation to senior management.
During the summer and winter breaks there are paid and unpaid internship opportunities with most of the major and mid-size accounting firms in New York City and other major cities.
The School of Management’s Career Services can help you identify and apply for these opportunities.
Some courses to consider in your first year:
- CQS 111 - Computer Tools for Management
- MATH 224 - Differential Calculus
- MATH 225 - Integral Calculus
- ECON 160 - Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 162 - Principles Of Macroeconomics
- BLS 111 - Legal Environment Of Mgmt I
- CQS 112 - Statistics For Management
After You Graduate
Accounting students have high rates of job placement, graduate school acceptance and starting salaries -- well above the national average.
Many accounting students pursue Binghamton's five-year program in which they earn both a bachelor’s and master's degree in accounting. It's one of best ways for students to maximize their education and gain advanced skills for accounting in areas of high demand like internal audit, forensic accounting and accounting information systems.
Top employers continuously recruit our students. We are the number-one provider of new hires for PwC and EY in New York City. In addition to PwC, EY, KPMG and Deloitte, our students are sought out by companies including American Express, Brevet Capital, Goldman Sachs, Jefferies, IBM, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, Citi, RSM US, Grant Thornton, ZenithOptimedia, Bank of America and Protiviti.
The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) website details the various career options available to accounting graduates, shows recent salary ranges for various accounting jobs and offers tips on résumé writing and interviewing.
You may also be interested in our accelerated/4+1 degree programs which allow students to complete their bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in just 5 years:
For more information, visit the Accounting website.