The environmental studies degree program aims to help students find solutions to critical environmental problems our society faces — from global warming to species extinction, from water contamination to soil erosion — through interdisciplinary study of academic fields in both the natural and social sciences.
Students who pursue a BS in environmental science or a BA in environmental studies may take coursework in ecosystems, earth sciences, environmental chemistry, public policy and law, environmental planning, ecological anthropology or environmental economics.
- BS in Environmental Science
- BA in Environmental Studies
Internships, research opportunities and more
- Internship opportunities are available at a variety of local agencies such as the Broome County Health Department and Binghamton University Nature Preserve.
- Students can intern in their hometown, county, state and federal agencies such as the National Park Service or the EPA, or with nonprofit groups.
- Students also have numerous opportunities to work in the field. Students do fieldwork as part of labs, discussion section or research projects.
- There are also fieldwork opportunities in other countries such as through study abroad in Costa Rica.
Some courses to consider in your first year:
- ENVI 101 - Humans & Ecological Environ
- ENVI 201 - Humans & Physical Environ
- ENVI 149 - Environmental Ethics & Policy
- ENVI 230 - Intro to Environmental Policy
- ENVI 239 - Environmental Planning/Policy
- CHEM 101 - Introduction To Chemistry I
- CHEM 104 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM 106 - General Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 111 - Chemical Principles
- ECON 160 - Principles of Microeconomics
After You Graduate
Graduates can pursue a wide range of careers, including research in environmental science, positions within advocacy groups or consulting firms, environmental law and environmental education. There are opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Some students choose to pursue graduate or professional studies.
You may also be interested in our accelerated/4+1 degree programs which allow students to complete their bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in just 5 years:
- MPA in Public Administration
- MA in Sustainable Communities
- MS in Sustainable Communities
- MS in Systems Science
For more information, visit the Environmental Science BS and Environmental Studies BA website.