Concerned about someone? Tell us!
People acting unsafely may be showing signs that they need help. That is where the Students of Concern Committee (SOC) may be the right place to turn.
If you are unsure about bringing a person to the attention of the SOC Committee, contact the Dean of Students Office at 607-777-2804 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Some indicators of a person in need of assistance include:
- personality changes
- changes in behavior
- lack of engagement
Just because someone consults with the case manager, does not mean the "student of concern's" situation is automatically brought to SOC.
The Students of Concern (SOC) Committee can:
- Help to coordinate the university response to students who demonstrate violence, threats to self or others, or are significantly disruptive students.
- Develop action plans intended to support student and community safety, prevent violence, support student development, and maintain a campus environment conducive to learning.
- Consult with faculty, staff and students involved in or affected by student's behavior, and other individuals as appropriate.
The SOC Committee's goal is to foster early identification of concerns about students. Early review of problematic situations can reduce the impact to a student and/or their classroom, social or living environment.
To speak with a member of the Students of Concern Committee, contact us at 607-777-2804 or email@example.com.
Composition of Committee:
- Academic Affairs – liaison to university academic units/centers. Interpreting policies
- Office of University Communications and Marketing
- University Police Department – contact with external agencies. Coordinate emergency services.
- Residential Life – detection of new cases, management of cases on campus.
- Dean of Students/Student Life – interpreting student conduct and other policies.
- Decker Student Health Services Center
- University Counseling Center
- Graduate and Professional Schools representative(s)
- Office of Student Conduct
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Human Resources
- Specialty member (on case by case basis, by invite only)