Search Target


Use this petition for requests other than a late drop, a late add, a DARS inquiry/request, or an overload request. Make two copies of this petition after you receive the instructor's signature. Bring an original and one copy of this petition to the Harpur Advising Office, Old Champlain 110 when submitting for review. Retain one copy for your records.

This petition may be used for the following:

  • Harpur writing course substitution
    At the beginning of a semester, senior students only may request consideration of non-designated Harpur course for Harpur writing satisfaction as a ‘W’ writing course. The instructor must confirm how the student will fulfill the writing requirement. The instructor's signature is required.
  • Extension of Incomplete beyond the 18-month grade change deadline
    Provide the department and course number, the semester in which you took the course, the reason why it was not completed, and the way and time frame in which you expect to finish the course work. Approval of Extensions of Incompletes must be signed by the instructor who submitted the original ‘I’ grade. Students should not register for this course again since the instructor will submit a change of grade form for the original registration. 
  • Change of Bulletin Year
    Students readmitted under current Bulletin year requirements may petition to return to their original Bulletin provided that Bulletin is no older than ten years. The department Undergraduate Director’s signature is required.
  • A waiver of residence
    This is a leave to continue or complete degree requirements at another institution. Study Abroad, National Student Exchange students, and students who wish to complete their final credits elsewhere make this request. The major department undergraduate director signature is required.
  • Other
    May include changing grading option after the deadline, exceeding a Harpur limit, etc., etc., etc.


1. Type information into General Academic petition. Print out the petition.

2. Obtain any necessary signatures or letters (see above).

3. Make two copies of this signed petition. You should now have an original and two copies of the petition.

4. Submit original petition with supporting documentation (if necessary) and one copy of the petition to the Harpur Academic Advising Office in Old Champlain 110. Retain one copy for your records.

Petitions typically take up to five business days to be evaluated. When further investigation is required, it may take longer. Results of your petition will be emailed to you at your Binghamton email address with further instruction, if necessary.

Type directly into this form, print, obtain signatures and submit an original and one copy to Harpur Advising, Old Champlain 110. 

Last Updated: 4/29/19