SSS Mentorship Program
Have you ever wished you had an older brother or sister here at Binghamton who could help you out from time to time?
You're about to adjust to classes and campus, and this may be the first time you're living away from home. If it isn't, and you've just transferred here, you may be navigating Binghamton with pressure to meet new people in a shorter amount of time.
There are probably still many things you have left to figure out:
- getting a job or an internship
- getting involved with volunteering
- learning how to navigate Degree Works and how to register for courses
- discovering who the best teachers are
- figuring out where the best places are to live
- learning how to avoid "the freshman 15"
- knowing how to survive the likelihood of being attacked by an actual Bearcat up in the hills of the Nature Preserve
DO NOT FEAR, SSSers! These are all things that SSS TRIO Mentors (TMs) can help you with! Our Mentors are all in SSS, navigating campus as fellow first-generation, low-income college students.
If you would like to be paired up with a big brother or sister TM, simply fill out the survey that will be sent out to you in the fall.
At this point in time, TRIO Mentors are available to you each fall semester only. We are in the works to bring them to you in the spring as well! Check here for updates.
Walk-in Peer Mentoring Hours
Don't want a match? Want to keep it casual?
Check out our Walk-in Peer Mentoring Hours (offered fall semester only) to gain drop-in, goofy grin, high-fiving connection!
Come on by to connect with them in our SSS Office Suite, sporting nifty Peer Mentoring Name-tags, Monday through Friday:
Monday through Thursday: 3pm to 7pm
Fridays: 12pm to 3pm
- Serve as a sounding board for decision-making
- Talk through immediate personal issues or concerns
- Help you to make an appointment with your Academic Counselor
- Make referrals to various campus resources
- Help you navigate Degree Works & register for courses
- Are an extra source of support!
- Can answer your questions!
Be a Mentor!
Do you want to be a leader?
Do you like to help people?
Are you knowledgeable about campus resources?
Do you want to build your resume?
If you answered Yes to any of these questions, you should consider applying to be a TRIO Mentor (TM) for the Student Support Services (SSS) Program!
To apply, check our listserv emails. We accept applications toward the end of the fall semester of each year. To be a
TRIO Mentor, you must:
• Apply using the google form emailed out to the listserv, and upload your cover letter and resume
• Successfully interview
• Complete our Mandatory Leadership Training (not for credit) during the Spring semester (held on Fridays from 3:30--4:30pm)
• Complete our CDCI 395 Internship Seminar (2 credits) during the Fall semester