Master of Science in Education - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Students in the MSEd TESOL program are immersed in multi-layered theoretical and practical approaches to teaching English as a Second Language (ESL), from language acquisition and literacy development to effective English as New Language Learners (ENL) pedagogy. Students taking classes full time will complete this program in just three semesters with their studies culminating in a capstone project.
The MSEd TESOL program is designed for those already possessing (or about to possess) New York state teacher certification looking to earn a master’s degree and certification in ESOL, which enables program completers to teach English as a New Language (ENL) in pre-K-12 settings.
Students must have at least 12 credits of foreign language before enrolling in the MSEd program. In addition to 33 credit hours of TESOL coursework, students must complete requirements in fieldwork and an internship, as well as a capstone project.
Culminating paper/project requirement
Students in the TESOL programs enroll in an advisor-guided capstone course in their final semester. This capstone course provides a unified research base upon which to complete the culminating research project.
Plan of study
The plan of study for the MSEd in TESOL program provides students and advisors with a form to guide students through the requirements.
- EDUC 504 - Foundat Biling & Multicult Edu
- EDUC 529 - Grammar for English Teachers
- EDUC 581 - Linguistics for Teachers
- EDUC 583 - Second Lang. Acq.
- EDUC 584 - Methods & Assessment for ELLs
- EDUC 585 - Global Contexts for TESOL
- EDUC 587 - L2 Reading, Writing Technology
- EDUC 588 - Content Bsed ESL Curric Instru
- EDUC 591 - Practicum in TESOL
- EDUC 595 - TESOL Capstone Proj or Thesis
- LTRC 518 - Literacy Assessment & Teaching
Students enrolled in teacher preparation programs must earn at least a B- in all courses to progress to subsequent semesters.
For questions regarding Binghamton University’s advanced teacher preparation program in TESOL, contact email@example.com.