Community-focused, in our education and through our work

A majority of society's most critical services — health and social care, school districts and campuses, transportation, entertainment, public safety — are delivered by governmental and non-profit organizations. We strive to balance the need to resolve complex issues (i.e. social, health, economic, environmental and inequalities) with limited resources.

Through internships, field placements and research, both on campus and with governmental and non-profit agencies, schools, colleges, and hospitals, we help meet the current needs of populations in Binghamton, the surrounding area, and around the globe.

Each department in the College of Community and Public Affairs — Human Development, Public Administration and Social Work especially — reaches out into the community to work with non-profit or governmental agencies in various ways. These connections are vital to the lifeblood of the school and the communities we partner with.

CCPA students and graduates, in particular those affiliated with the Master of Public Administration Program, work closely with local government agencies as they prepare for careers in public service.

Field placements

Field instruction is integral to the development of CCPA students, especially in our departments of social work and human development. Students acquire practice experience and develop competence in the skills that will help them attain their personal and professional goals.

Independent study

Independent study courses offer another opportunity for our students to interact with the community. Though not necessarily tied directly to a local agency or municipality, independent study courses help students develop skills that relate to their educational and professional goals in a self-directed manner. Find out more about opportunities available to those studying human development and social work.


Our students gain hands-on experience in their chosen fields to better prepare them to contribute to the community. For information on internships, visit the department: social work, human development, public administration and/or student affairs administration.

Last Updated: 10/9/15