Binghamton University maintains a high degree of awareness for fire safety on our campus. The office of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for fire safety, including fire protection systems as well as code enforcement. Go to the EH&S website for additional details on fire safety and fire education programs.
Fire Department Response
The Binghamton University campus resides in the Town of Vestal, N.Y., and is protected by the Vestal Volunteer Fire Department (http://www.vestalfire.com/). The University works closely with the fire department to ensure its familiarity with the campus, its fire protection systems, and its unique hazards and challenges.
Fire Alarm Evacuations
All building occupants are required by New York state law to evacuate the building when the fire alarm sounds. Follow the building's general evacuation procedures as soon as you hear the fire alarm.
If there is a fire in your work area:
- First, notify the fire department by pulling the pull station and (from a safe distance) calling University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2222 (from any phone) to provide details of the situation.
- If you have been trained in the use of a portable fire extinguisher and are able to safely extinguish the fire, you may do so. Be sure you have a safe exit from the area and leave if one extinguisher does not put out the fire.
- Evacuate the building as soon as the alarm sounds and report to building coordinator.
- On your way out, warn others nearby.
- Move away from fire and smoke. Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so stay near the floor where the air is less toxic.
- Close doors and windows if time permits.
- Touch closed doors. Do not open them if they are hot.
- Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
- Move well away from the building and go to your designated Immediate Assembly Area (IAA) .
- Do not reenter the building or work area until you have been instructed to do so by the emergency responders.
If you become trapped in a building during a fire:
- DO NOT PANIC.
- Isolate yourself from the fire and smoke in an office or stairwell.
- If a phone is available, contact University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2222 (from any phone) and provide details of your location and situation
- If a window is available, place a large piece of brightly colored fabric (shirt, coat, tablecloth, etc.) outside the window as a marker for rescue crews.
- If there is no window, stay near the floor where the air is less toxic.
- Make noise (tap pipes, bang furniture, blow whistle, shout, etc.) at regular intervals to alert emergency crews of your location.
To Report an Emergency:
- Dial 911 from any on-campus phone.
- Dial 607-777-2222 from any non-campus (cell) phone.
- Pick up any Blue Light phone located on University property.