Student Tutoring Policies
University Tutorial Services (UTS) provides free tutoring for Binghamton University students. To maximize the benefits of this service, students should closely note the following:
- To provide an encouraging learning environment for students of all skills, backgrounds, and their aspirations.
- To proactively incite students’ development of critical thinking, problem solving, and study skills beyond tutoring sessions.
- All UTS tutoring appointments must be scheduled online through TutorTrac at https://tutortrac.binghamton.edu. Students must use their PODS username and password to log in.
- Students may receive tutoring for a maximum of two hours per course, per week for up to three courses. Walk-in tutoring sessions do not count toward this limit.
- ALL scheduled tutoring appointments take place in the CIW Library, Mountainview Student Success Center, or C4.
- Students MUST sign their tutor’s sign-in sheet for every appointment. Failure to do so will be tracked as a missed appointment.
- Students are expected to come prepared with questions and concepts to work on. Tutors are NOT permitted to complete homework assignments, quizzes, tests, or online assignments with or for students.
- Students who need to cancel a scheduled tutoring appointment must do so through TutorTrac – NOT directly with their tutor.
- University Tutorial Services requires that students cancel appointments with a minimum of 12 hours notice. Cancellations with less than 12 hours notice will be tracked as a missed appointment. Extenuating circumstances will be taken into consideration if an appointment is cancelled within the 12 hours prior to the session, but UTS must be notified via email (UTS@binghamton.edu).
- University Tutorial Services reserves the right to remove students from weekly sessions if the student does not attend the session and fails to properly cancel the session.
- In an effort to ensure the quality of our tutor programming, University Tutorial Services staff will reach out to students and request anonymous feedback on their tutoring experience.