Fall 2020 English Department Advising Hours




Birgit Brander Rasmussen
LN 1138
LN 1136

TR 2:30-4 email or Zoom ID 943 9138 1993

or appt.

Monika Mehta
Undergraduate Director
LNG 28

Contact via email

Jessie Reeder

LNG 36
Michael Sharp
LNG 44
Contact via email

Libby Tucker

LN 1146

TR 3-4:30 email/Zoom ID 963 0055 3262

LNG 42

T 1:10-3 Zoom ID 955 5700 0307

Harpur Academic Advising hours: 10 am - noon & 1 pm - 4 pm
You must bring a copy of your current Degree Works when meeting with an English Advisor.

  • Declaring a Major

    Students may declare an English Major any time after their first-semester freshman year.

    Prior to declaring, students must meet with an English Adviser* (Please bring your Degree Works with you). Once an English Adviser has signed off, please bring the Declaration of Major form to Donna Berg (English Department, LN 1149) to be processed.

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    What are your department hours?
    The English Department is open from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday during the academic year. Summer hours are 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

    How do I contact an English instructor?
    The best way to contact an instructor is by emailing them or you can come into the English Department (LN 1149) and refer to the list of contact information for English Department instructors. The list contains email addresses, office locations, and office hours and it is updated each semester. The list is posted on the bulletin board to the right of the door to the main office.

    How do I declare, change, or drop my major?
    If you wish to declare an English major or change your concentration, please see an English Advisor. If you wish to drop your English major, see Donna Berg in the English Department (LN 1149).

    What are the different English majors?
    Note: You may declare only ONE major within a department.

    • English

    • English: Creative Writing

    • English: Rhetoric

    Can you minor in English?
    No. There is no English minor.

    I need help with my writing. Is there any free academic help offered? 
    The Writing Initiative is located in LN 2412, for writing help.

    How do I know who my advisor is?
    There is a list of academic advisors and their office hours posted in the English Department LN 1149. You can see any advisor on the list. This list is updated each semester.

    How do I know when my instructor has office hours?
    Office hours are posted in the English department LN 1149. This information is updated each semester.

    I took an English course years ago and now I need an official course description. Is it possible for you to send me one?
    Most likely. Please provide the instructor's name, the course number, the course title, the semester and year. You can contact the Undergraduate Secretary, Donna Berg with your request.

    The class that I want to take is full. How do I petition into the class?
    The English department is no longer accepting petitions to get into classes that are full. If a course has the Waitlist feature, you may add yourself to the Waitlist.

    Can I get into a class that has restrictions?
    Please contact the instructor of the class in order to receive permission. Typically, the best way to contact instructors is by email.

    I tried to register and it says I need departmental permission, what does this mean?
    It means there is a restriction on the course. Please contact the instructor of the class in order to receive permission. Typically, the best way to contact instructors is by email.

    I am supposed to graduate and haven't fulfilled my requirements yet. What do I do?
    Print a copy of your Degree Works and go speak to an advisor immediately.

    If I take two different courses in different semesters that both have the same course number and letter (i.e., ENG 300N), will I get credit for both courses?
    Yes, as long as they are different course titles.

Quick Links