Honor a friend or remember a loved one by making a gift to support Binghamton University
A memorial gift is a meaningful way to remember, honor or celebrate someone important to you. Memorial gifts keep the memory of your loved one alive and have lasting impact.
An honorary gift is a powerful way to express your love and make a difference. Honorary gifts can be made in lieu of flowers, in honor of a birthday, anniversary or graduation, or just to thank a special friend.
There are many ways you may honor or memorialize an individual with ties to the Binghamton University community. Please contact Rebecca Hancock at 607-777-3360 or email@example.com to discuss a full array of options. Some examples are listed below:
Trees and Benches
Trees and benches are a popular recognition vehicle to honor or memorialize an individual. You would provide a charitable contribution to the Binghamton University Foundation in support of the Campus Enhancement Fund and, in recognition of your gift, you may request that a tree or bench be placed on campus grounds in a location deemed appropriate in consultation with Physical Facilities.
To honor or memorialize an individual, you may make a contribution of $2,500. These funds would be used to purchase and maintain, in perpetuity, the tree and its related plaque.
To honor or memorialize an individual, you may make a contribution of $5,000 for the purchase and maintenance of a bench and its related plaque. You may request placement of the bench in a particular area of campus, but location of the bench would be determined in consultation with Physical Facilities.
The Memorial Courtyard is a focal point for donors who wish to pay tribute to a deceased member of the Binghamton University community. Memorials are limited to people who had a relationship with the University.
- Gifts of $500 or more recognize the donor, who may honor a deceased member of the University community on the donor recognition display at the courtyard entrance.
- Gifts of $1,000 or more allow the donor to have the name of the deceased member of the University community inscribed on a bronze plaque and affixed to the memorial display in the courtyard.
- Gifts of $2,500 or more enable the donor to honor the deceased member of the University community with a tree and plaque within the courtyard, space permitting.
- Gifts of $5,000 or more provide for a bench and plaque within the courtyard, space permitting.
Financial contributions to support the Memorial Courtyard are placed in a special fund dedicated to the maintenance of the courtyard. Gifts of any size are appreciated and may be made online. Gifts of materials and landscape plantings are also welcome.
There are two ways to honor or memorialize an individual within the University Libraries:
- You can pick a newly published book in the subject area of your choosing to be purchased and added to the Libraries’ collection.
- Or you may select a book from over two million titles in the Libraries’ catalog.
A bookplate bearing the name of the person being honored and your name will be placed in the book. If you’d like, a letter of acknowledgement will be sent to the honoree or family member. A virtual bookplate will be placed in the Libraries’ catalog, searchable online.
- No matter where you direct your support, if you make your gift using our secure, online giving form, you may honor or memorialize an individual by simply adding their name in the Honor/Memorial field. We’ll notify the honoree or family member of your generosity.
- You may include memorial gift information in an obituary. For your consideration, we have provided sample wording below:
In lieu of flowers, a donation in memory of (name of decedent) may be made to benefit the (fund designated by the family member).
Donations are accepted online at giving.binghamton.edu. Checks should be made payable to the Binghamton University Foundation and mailed to:
Binghamton University Foundation
PO Box 6005
Binghamton, NY 13902-6005