Semester Withdrawal

Prior to the start of classes, you may send an email to from your official Binghamton email account if you will not be attending Binghamton.

Things to know:

  • Mere absence from class does not constitute notice of semester withdrawal.
  • Semester withdrawal is only applicable for current fall or spring semester only; a past or future fall or spring semester withdrawal requires prior approval from Dean of Students.
  • Semester withdrawal may occur from the first day up until last day of classes for current fall or spring semester.
  • Students seeking to drop all summer or winter term courses should refer to the Continuing Education website for deadlines. The Semester Withdrawal Form can be used only for fall/spring semesters.
  • The action of semester withdrawal is noted on a student’s record as an Official Withdrawal and, in place of a regular grade, all courses will have a “W” on a student’s transcript. NOTE: If a semester withdrawal is submitted and processed prior to the semester add/drop deadline, all courses will be deleted and not marked with a “W” on a student’s transcript; no grades are recorded for students who formally withdraw before the add/drop deadline.
  • If receiving financial aid, including student and/or parent loans: Student is strongly encouraged to speak to a financial aid counselor to determine impact of semester withdrawal on current and/or future financial aid eligibility. Specifically, federal regulations state that once a student has attended more than 60% of the term (fall, spring or summer), the student is considered to have earned 100% of their aid and no adjustment to aid is needed. If the student has not attended more than 60% of the term, any unearned aid must be returned to the federal aid programs. For example, semester withdrawal prior to October 23 for the fall 2017 semester or March 20 for spring 2018 semester, will impact federal aid. Aid will be prorated based on the withdrawal date and could result in a balance due to the University.
  • Tuition & Fees Pro-ration: Refunds are given based on the following schedule in accordance to the New York State Board of Trustees policy: Week 1- 100 % tuition and fees; Week 2 - 70% tuition only; Week 3- 50% tuition only; Week 4 - 30% tuition only; Week 5 and After- No Refund. Students will be billed for any portion of unpaid tuition, fees and miscellaneous charges owed to the University. After the first week of classes, all fees are non-refundable. Students will be billed if fees are not paid. See Student Accounts for more details.
  • Campus Housing Pro-ration: Charges for room occupancy are based on the daily room rate multiplied by the number of days the student occupied the room. Vacancy is determined by the date the student removes his/her belongings from the room, completes a room inventory and returns the room keys to a member of the Residential Life Staff. Move out of room is required within 24 hours of withdrawal.
  • Meal Plan Pro-ration: The amount of a Resident dining plan refund is a percentage of the total meal plan paid for that semester, determined according to a prorated weekly schedule. No refund can be made, under any circumstances or at any time, of any part of a discretionary fund balance transferred forward from the fall to the spring semester.

Special Circumstances

Undergraduate Students

  • If an undergraduate international student (F-1/J-1 Visa): An international student must complete the Semester Withdrawal Form and go to the International Student and Scholars Services (ISSS) Office, located in the Nelson A. Rockefeller Center, for a withdrawal consultation and required signature before submitting the withdrawal form to Financial Aid and Student Records, Admissions Center, Room 112.
  • If an undergraduate student who is in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP): An EOP student must complete the Semester Withdrawal Form AND visit the EOP Office, located in Classroom Wing, Room 233, for a withdrawal consultation and required signature before submitting the withdrawal form to Financial Aid and Student Records, Admissions Center, Room 112.
  • If an undergraduate student withdraws for the semester to enter active military duty: Student must complete Semester Withdrawal Form AND provide written copies of deployment orders. U.S. citizens and U.S. veterans must notify the TRIO Office for Veterans Services at 607-777-2024. International students called to military service in their homeland, before commencing with withdrawing, need to contact the International Student and Scholars Services (ISSS) Office at 607-777-2510 for information on appropriate departure procedures required under U.S. Immigration law.
  • If an undergraduate, non-matriculated (also referred to as non-degree or continuing education) student: Student must complete the Semester Withdrawal Form and go to Harpur Academic Advising, Old Champlain Hall, Room 110 for a withdrawal consultation and required signature before submitting the withdrawal form to Financial Aid and Student Records, Admissions Center, Room 112.  Email for any questions.

Undergraduate withdrawal form

Graduate Students

The graduate student withdrawal form is required if you wish to drop ALL fall or spring semester courses or to withdraw from Binghamton University in good standing.

Please be sure you have read the policies on graduate student withdrawal in the Binghamton University Bulletin and the Graduate School Manual.

  • You are required to speak to your department chair or graduate director to clarify your student status and funding status.
  • If you are an international student, you must also speak with an International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) representative about the withdrawal.  
  • If you are a financial aid recipient, you must also contact Financial Aid and Student Records to discuss the effects of the withdrawal.
  • If you would like to return to the University without readmission to The Graduate School, you must also submit a Request for Leave of Absence Form.

Graduate Withdrawal Form


Submit the completed forms to the Graduate School in Couper Administration Building Room 134 or to

Additional Information Based on Withdrawal Type

Academic, Financial or Other

Students withdrawing for these reasons cannot return without reapplying. Readmission is not guaranteed.


Students withdrawing for medical reasons must have their health care provider submit the Provider Form for Medical or Psychological Semester Withdrawal to the Decker Student Health Services Center or the University Counseling Center as soon as possible and no later than the last day of classes.

A temporary hold will be placed on the student’s record.

In order to return to Binghamton University, students will need to provide documentation regarding their readiness to resume their studies to the Decker Student Health Services Center or the University Counseling Center. A recommendation will be made by these offices to the Graduate School, which will facilitate appropriate action, including the removal of the temporary hold.

Active Military Duty

Students withdrawing to begin active military duty must provide copies of their deployment orders and will also need to apply for a leave of absence for future semesters. If you are a United States citizen, you must also notify Veterans Services (607-777-2021) and Student Accounts (607-777-2702).


The Graduate School considers requests for retroactive withdrawals only under extraordinary circumstances that have prevented the student from withdrawing by the regular semester withdrawal deadline (for example, the combination of a trauma and an illness at the time of the deadline). All requests for retroactive withdrawals must be submitted to the Graduate School and must be accompanied by verifiable documentation (for example, official death certificates, documentation provided by healthcare providers, or police reports). Any requests for additional documentation will be made by the Graduate School. The request will be reviewed by the Graduate School and the school in which the student is enrolled and will, if necessary, be considered by the Decker Student Health Services Center. The decision will be made by the Graduate School in consultation with the school in which the student is enrolled. If the student is granted a retroactive withdrawal, the student’s grades for that semester will be replaced with "Withdrawn (W)" marks.